Grant McLennan poster

Tribute gig poster

Monday, 20 February 2012

An interview with Judy Evans from Girls At Our Best!

This interview is from the excellent Dreams Never End fanzine (1988, I think). Indiepop fanzines in the late 80s had two ways of guaranteeing sales: the old-fashioned way of badgering people at gigs to buy it; or having a flexi disc to persuade people to part with their cash.

Dreams Never End had that rare thing - a splash. Who could resist sending off for a publication featuring an interview with Judy Evans from Girls At Our Best!? Not me.
This is incredibly difficult for me to remember - was it 2 world tours or 3?
While not wanting to be ‘ideologically sound’, one must realise that beauty, sex & desire all play an enormous role in the portrayal & success of bands & denying that is just na├»ve & dishonest. I think the most successful bands challenge accepted ideas of desirability, ‘beauty’ & sex, they manipulate & subvert them for their own ends. What I suppose I’m saying is that all good bands by their very nature are sexy & attractive in some way. (As a matter of interest, we all agreed that I should never appear on record covers, posters etc.)

4 comments:

  1. Excellent. That quote about playing around with notions of beauty sex and desire is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so. I was going to use it in the Sarah Records post, but there had to be a limit on length. Some people might see a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing a content refresh of my Girls At Our Best! web site and came across this page. Do you mind if I add this to www.girlsatourbest.com?

    I'm happy to either republish and give you full credit and a link or direct people here. Choice is yours, I have no intention on stealing others' work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren - please add it to your excellent site. A link will be great - I merely reproduced the article from a fanzine, so my only credit is storing it for 25 years!

    ReplyDelete