2012 gets 10 out of 10 for music. This vintage is largely down to the explosion of Australian talent and the arrival of so many bright new British bands. The hardest thing about making an annual compilation this year was leaving songs off. Some absolute gems have been cast aside, but what’s left is, I’m absolutely certain, all killer.
I liked the swears last year. What happened?
This is a family-friendly blog. Many recipients have kids. Hand on heart, I believe the children are our future.
Teach them well and let them lead the way?
That’s the idea. Indoctrinate them with indie early enough and they’ll stand a chance. Of getting beaten up in the playground, maybe, but that’s source material for their own bands when they eventually navigate the quagmire of adolescence.
Swearing’s central to the rock tradition, though.
I know, but when KEEL HER sings “fuck me in the back seat” on Riot Grrrl, I don’t know if she means the back seat of a car, or…you know. KEEL HER’s With Me Tonight is just as good. 2012’s been a great year for music.
Billy Joel sang about anal sex in Uptown Girl, didn’t he, and squeaky-clean boyband Westlife covered it for the Children In Need charity!
“I bet she's never had a backstreet guy/I bet her momma never told her why,” etc? I see. That’s one interpretation of the song, I grant you.
Do kids really pay attention to lyrics that much?
One of the recipient’s kids – mentioning no names, PAM BERRY – can only count up to 4 because of all the bloody Ramones songs played in the family car.
Why can’t you just put up a download?
Every year this comes up. I’m glad it does, because rare is it I get the chance to take the moral high ground (once a year, actually). I know other blogs do it, but I can’t justify giving away new bands’ music online. This compilation is an introduction for friends,, it’s 24 suggestions of where to look, not a worldwide giveaway. It might in most cases not lead to any purchases, but at the very least it’ll spark desires and reignite connections.
1. Two Weeks - Scott & Charlene's Wedding
2. Nerve Pop - Small Reactions
3. Dear John - Allo Darlin
4. She's So Wise - Willie West and the High Society Brothers
5. Keeps Me Going - Standard Fare
6. Holde Me Now - Boomgates
7. Warburton - Per Purpose
8. With Me Tonight - KEEL HER
9. Stay Heavy - Cassolette
10. Don't Play Around - DJ Nu-Mark feat Aloe Blacc & Charles Bradley
11. Cameraman - The Spook School
12. Starlight, Starlight - Exlovers
13. Picking Up Dust - Dignan Porch
14. XTC - Milk Teddy
15. Favela B-boy Funk - Freqnik & WDRE
16. Mosaic - Fear of Men
17. After 4pm - Hipnotik Orchestra
18. So Down - The Eversons
19. It's Gonna be a Good Year - The High Water Marks
20. Lemonade Grrrl - Joanna Gruesome
21. Bad Decisions - Bitch Prefect
22. I'm Moving Back To My Parent's House - Charles Latham
23. So On, Nevada - Damien Jurado
24. Nullarbor - Lower Plenty