Wednesday 3 April 2013

Old Man, Don't Waste Your Time by Darren Hayman and the Long Parliament

They sound like they're having so much fun! I imagine this romp through pop's playground was dreamt up in the pub one night and recorded in the same devil-may-care spirit the next day. "Let's do some pervy purrs a la Jane Birkin!" "Seeing as Lee Thompson's session rate is out of our budget, I'll play the sax!" "And when it comes to the guitar solo, I'm gonna stamp my foot on the fuzz pedal."

Like all great pop songs - and this is great - it sounds like it was written in 5 minutes and caught in one take on tape with a minimum of fuss and bother. It's like Hayman's Bundle! from last year, only bigger and better. 6Music will surely clear the playlist to make room for this.


Oh, you've got to hear the b-side. I Don't Want To Get Used To It channels the countrified melancholy of early 70s Kinks. Extra points for the violin as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment