Friday, 26 April 2019

How to improve Record Store Day

1. Make the prices the same at every shop.
I know one of the main points of RSD is for record shops to make money, but the mark ups some shops put on releases would shame even the most cynical eBay scalper.

2. Sale or return
Somewhere in the spreadsheets, the accountants have forgotten that the day is about shops (‘stores’) not labels. So labels are chucking out what I can most politely describe as any old crap in a limited splattered edition. It doesn’t matter to the labels if it doesn’t sell. It should. Because shops are stuck with those records for years. I see ancient RSD releases in the racks every week. They’re as attractive as the can of beer and backwash the morning after the party.

If labels had to take back what doesn’t sell, they’d focus on quality output.

3. Dead pop stars stop bouncing after a year
Did anyone really want 5 (FIVE) live Fall albums? And a 7” box set? And two other Fall albums? Yours for £225. Most of them still yours for £25 per album. Death is a good career move for some artists, but not 16 months on.

4. One release per artist
David Bowie’s RSD popularity peaked in 2012 when he was alive. The Starman picture disc (2,000 copies) sells for around £200. 2019’s Pin Ups picture disc (4,000) copies is still not selling in a record shop near you. Along with the other Bowie 2019 RSD releases.

5. Get rid of Black Friday
Or the half-hearted RSD. This is timed for Christmas purchases. But record labels already spend much of the year planning Christmas and save the box sets and special issues for that market. Black Friday is for the stuff not good enough for a Christmas present.

6. Deadline for releases
Also known as stop blocking up pressing plants. Let’s say 90% of RSD releases are planned and agreed by August. Plenty of time to press them for April, especially if there’s no Black Friday. The other 10% can be for newly dead pop stars’ reissues and Courtney Barnett’s annual RSD release (there are other culprits). Crucially, other releases can come out on time. It's all very well saving record shops on one day, but postponing an indie band's album release so they have to cancel a tour or go bankrupt isn't helping the future of record shops.

7. Manage stock levels in real time
How hard can it be to have an online central database where buyers can see the stock in each shop? Not hard at all. Then the weary punter knows which shop to go to after their local has sold out instead of travelling for an hour to a different shop and queueing up for just as long only to be told, “Sorry the Otis Redding has sold out. Can I interest you in a live Fall lp?”

8. Gigs outside shops
Because it’s hard enough to get into a shop without 200 people crowding round the entrance to see Pete Doherty play his poundland Kinks songs.

9. Get rid of Cassette Store Day

Exercise in brand dilution.

2 comments:

  1. The 'indie' shops and labels need to try and hang on to a little self-respect. I appreciate that times are difficult but if you need to hawk Baby Shark picture discs or coloured vinyl TVPs reissues for £25 then maybe you need to take another look at your business plan. Dinked editions can get to fuck too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really begrudge RSD or the shops taking part, because they (the shops) need the money. It helps offset losses, but the whole industry needs to look at how it markets vinyl. It's sold as a luxury product, the way CDs used to be. The situation's flipped, so now vinyl's the hardback and CDs the paperback. But all the reissues we see on a weekly basis are profiteering. £20 for a reissue? I don't care if it's on 180g vinyl. Most people don't have record players that 'reveal' the better sound quality over CDs. These reissues should be marketed to teens and twentysomethings starting or building a collection and priced low. There won't be a next generation buying records at this rate and record shops will be fucked. The labels don't care about anything ahead of the next quarter's profit sheet. This very short-term thinking is causing more loss that no number of RSDs can cover.

      Delete